Friday, January 28, 2011

Chocolate Walnut Banana Bread

 
I spent the better part of last night pouty and all around grumpy. Grumpy because another snow storm was raging outside but no matter how many inches or feet we got, I’d still have to work in the morning. I know, I know. Life could be worse, but I was having a moment. I wanted a real snow day: the exciting and fancy-free kind where school is canceled, obligations are cast aside and you’re left with an entire day to bide your time at home (Making snow angels, baking bread, sipping cocoa and curling up with a book were exactly what I had in mind, and in that order). Well, it wasn’t going to happen no matter how much I frowned and stamped my feet.  

I decided that banana bread spiked with chocolate and walnuts was the best bet for redeeming the situation. I cued up the mixer and got the butter, sugar and eggs swirling while I whisked together the dry ingredients. The recipe calls for all-purpose flour; I used unbleached and subbed in a bit of whole wheat. Cheating just a bit, I zapped our very yellow and perfect bananas in the microwave until they were soft and mashable before adding them to the batter. Once everything had been incorporated, I poured the mixture into a loaf pan while pausing briefly to add layers of mini chocolate chips and walnuts. After baking for an hour, the bread emerged triumphant. With a dense texture perfectly punctuated by chocolate bits and nuts, I speak with authority when I tell you that it can stand its own against the worst cases of grumpiness. 

By morning the storm had passed and with it my grumpiness. Its amazing what sweets and sleep can do for your outlook. As expected, I did end up working, but it wasn’t so bad. I got to work from home and ignore our snow-covered car for most of the day. Besides, since the snow had stopped falling, it didn’t feel like snow day anyway. I set up shop on the couch with Kitty beside me and tapped productively on my laptop til closing-time, fueled by toasted banana bread and bottomless cups of coffee.



No comments:

Post a Comment